If your Hamilton Beach Microwave Not Heating, it could be any one of a number of problems. From the actual heating mechanism to the control panel, there are many components that can cause microwave ovens to fail. The most common problems with microwaves are usually related to the magnetron or the door switches, both of which have been covered in detail in this troubleshooting guide.
Microwave ovens use a technology called microwave radiation to cook or heat food. Microwave energy heats the food by causing water and fat molecules in it to vibrate and produce heat. Microwave ovens can also be used to heat liquids, such as water for tea or coffee, and even to boil eggs. Microwave ovens are very easy to use, anyone can use it even if they don’t know much about kitchen appliances.
Your Hamilton Beach Microwave may not be heating up. It can be a problem with one of the parts, a burnt-out magnetron or capacitor, or a blown fuse inside the microwave. Not to worry! You have many options that can help you get your microwave back to normal. First of all, if you know exactly what the problem is, then you should troubleshoot it yourself.
Hamilton Beach Microwave Not Heating – Troubleshoot and Diagnosis
IMPORTANT: When unplugged, a microwave still holds high amounts of electricity that can be deadly — only a professional should open and handle a microwave. You should not take apart or attempt to fix an oven without first consulting a professional, as injuries could result — it’s just not worth the risk.
To solve the problem of inconsistent or no heating in your microwave, here are a few things that you can try:
- Ensure that Timer function is not ON
Sometimes, you might hit the timer button instead of the cook button. While the timer has many uses — it’s a great way to count down — it can be frustrating if you’re cooking food and hit the timer button by mistake.
- Ensure that door is properly closed
It’s important to make sure that your microwave door is closed all the way; simply close it gently. A forced door can damage one of your switches, which could mean your microwave won’t be able to run properly.
If you’ve tried everything and your microwave still isn’t working, here are the possible reasons why.
The diode is a vacuum tube that directs electrons to flow in one direction only. This cuts down on power loss and gives more control over the microwaves. The magnetron is a vacuum tube that produces microwaves, which are then directed into the food by the waveguide.
If the magnetron stops working, you won’t be able to use the microwave, and it is most likely due to a burned-out diode.
When the diode burns out, it is visibly damaged. Inspect the diode and if it is burned out, replace it. To test the diode, touch one lead of a multimeter to the end of the diode and the other lead to the base (or other side). If the multimeter shows continuity (indicating that current flows through it), switch it around and check for continuity again. When you reverse the leads, the multimeter should show no continuity.
Defective Door Switch
Some door switches in the microwave only sense when the door is closed and magnetized. On other microwaves, these three or four door switches are used to determine when you’ve opened the door, and how long it took to open it.
When the microwave door closes, it automatically switches on. Here’s how it works: First, the main power switch is turned on, then the high voltage relay is closed, then circuits within the control system (IC) switch on. If any of these switches fail, this will not be detected by the IC and the microwave won’t heat.
Use a multimeter to make sure each of the microwave door switches has continuity to the selector switch and the door latch. If any of the door switches doesn’t have continuity, replace it.
Burnt Out Magnetron
The magnetron is the core component of the microwave, and crucial for heat generation. Because this component operates with high voltage, high current, and generates an intense amount of heat, it tends to burn out much faster than other components.
If the magnetron burns out, your Hamilton Beach microwave won’t heat. That’s why it needs to be replaced rather than repaired. If you’re seeing color on your food, hear a strange rattling sound, or notice a drop in power, this should be replaced as soon as possible.
Burnt Out High Voltage Capacitor
Microwaves use a device called a magnetron to create electromagnetic waves that heat food. The high voltage capacitor and high voltage diode work together to produce this result. What happens is the transformer converts the electrical energy from your home’s circuit into a form of energy that can be handled by the magnetron. The high voltage, alternating current (AC) is converted into direct current (DC). The capacitor of a microwave oven is a small device that acts as a filter for high voltage. In many microwaves, the capacitor will eventually burn out, which leads to all kinds of problems. The most common symptom of a burned out capacitor is that the microwave won’t heat.
High voltage capacitors are very dangerous, so you should avoid touching them if the microwave has been turned on. The easiest way to test the capacitor is to turn the microwave off, remove it from its mounting, attach alligator clips to both terminals, and then touch the alligator clips to the VOM’s leads. If no reading is received when attempting this test, then the capacitor is probably defective.
Failed High Voltage Transformer
If you have an older microwave with a high-voltage transformer, there’s a chance that it will eventually go bad. If so, you’ll start to notice that your microwaves takes longer than usual to heat up foods. You may even smell something like burning plastic every once in awhile. A bad transformer can also cause your microwave to make noises when you try to heat up food.
Blown Thermal Fuse
Our microwave features a thermal fuse, which will cut off power to the unit if it overheats. If the microwave stops working, unplug the appliance and use a multimeter to test the thermal fuse for continuity. If it doesn’t have continuity, replace the fuse. The fuse cannot be reset — if it’s blown, you must replace it.
The thermoprotector is a device that protects the microwave from overheating. If your microwave is suddenly working poorly, your thermoprotector might be tripped — a possible reason for the issue.
Hi there! I’m Sam Hendricks, and I’m a repair technician and expert. I created this website to help people like you save money and time by fixing your own appliances.
Over the years, I’ve seen people spend a lot of money on unnecessary repairs or replacements. That’s why I decided to share my expertise and create easy-to-follow guides for fixing appliances on your own.