If You see the Bosch Dishwasher E22 error code, that means the filter is blocked or clogged, and water cannot drain out of the machine correctly. This Bosch dishwasher error is usually caused by a calcium buildup in the drain filter, but it can also be caused by a blocked hose, non-return valve, or circulation pump.
Bosch dishwashers are well-known for their long lifespan and quality craftsmanship. That’s why Bosch dishwashers are so popular in North America & Europe, where Bosch has a strong presence with more than 20% market share.
Bosch appliances come with a minimum one-year limited warranty to cover parts and labor against defects in materials or workmanship under normal household use for twelve months from the date of purchase.
When you’ve got stacks of dirty dishes and a pile of stinky, soaking pots on your hands, it can be hard to find time to troubleshoot an E22 error code. This article will take you through all the possible causes for this error code, from the most likely to the least unlikely.
What Does The Bosch Dishwasher E22 Error Code Mean?
If your Bosch dishwasher displays the E22 error code, it means that water remains in the basin even after the draining cycle is complete. This error code usually occurs when a clogged filter fails to drain water from the unit, which can happen if bits of food or dirt gets stuck in the filter. Remove any obstructions to fix this issue.
The E22 error code indicates that the dishwasher filter is blocked and needs to be cleaned. To solve this issue, remove the filter and make sure it is free of food particles. If there is a blockage, unclog the filter by running water through it or replacing it with a new filter.
To avoid the Bosch Dishwasher E22 error code, you can take the following steps.
- Clean and maintain your Bosch dishwasher filter regularly with Bosch’s own Bosch dishwasher cleaner or any other third-party compatible filters to keep it free of debris and dirt; repeat this step every two weeks for best results.
- Use a kitchen strainer when rinsing dishes before they enter the Bosch dishwasher to prevent large particles from clogging up the drain filter; rinse in short bursts so water doesn’t overflow onto the floor while removing food residue from plates, pots, and pans as well.
- Turn off power at the wall switch if not using Bosch dishwashers for more than 30 days.
Clogged Drain Filter
The Bosch dishwasher E22 error code is often caused by a clogged drain filter. A blocked or dirty Bosch dishwasher’s fine-drain filter will not allow water to exit the machine, which can lead to an increase in errors and even damage your Bosch appliance over time.
How to clean the dishwasher filter?
- Take out the lower rack of your dishwasher.
- The filter is located underneath it.
- Remove the filter by twisting and pulling it out, being careful not to drop the mesh screen as it is fragile.
- Wash the filter under running water and apply a mild soap solution and a soft brush to remove any debris.
- Re-insert the filter and spray arm back in their original places.
Calcium Buildup In Filter
Dishwashers can be prone to clogs, especially if you aren’t always using the right detergent to wash your dishes. Food particles and other solid objects are common culprits, but you may find a buildup of calcified deposits on the inside of your machine’s filters as well.
Those will have formed over time as water with a high concentration of natural minerals passes through them multiple times.
You may see a Bosch dishwasher E22 error code if there is a serious buildup of calcium. When caused by a hard water supply, this problem could lead to drainage issues and poor washing performance.
However, cleaning your dishwasher regularly can help you prevent this common problem. It also helps to use an active water softener, which will lower the water’s hardness and prevent mineral buildup before it happens.
To clean the calcium buildup on your Bosch dishwasher filter:
- Use a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water.
- Mix it in a small bowl, and then soak the filter in the vinegar mixture for about five minutes.
- Wipe the filter clean with a dry cloth.
- Rinse the filter under running water and place it back.
If there’s minor calcium buildup in your dishwasher, scrubbing it off with a toothbrush should do the trick. To remove severe buildup:
- Purchase a “descaler” available at most supermarkets and hardware stores.
- Use it per the directions on the bottle.
- Remember to run an empty cycle immediately after descaling.
Blocked Hose Or Non-Return Valve
In order To prevent dirty water from flowing back into the dishwasher when you’re done, Bosch dishwashers feature a clever ‘non-return valve.’ This little device acts as an extra safety net in case of any issues with the drain hose. Once it has been pushed open, the valve opens up completely and can’t be closed again — effectively preventing backflow through pipes.
A clog or obstruction in the Bosch dishwasher’s drain hose or non-return valve may cause the Bosch dishwasher E22 error code to be triggered. A backup of wastewater into the dishwasher can lead to damage as the water rises higher and higher inside the machine.
If you see this error code, investigate your dishwasher for possible problems with its drain system.
Before you troubleshoot this problem, rule out a blockage inside the dishwasher. Replacing the hose and valve behind the machine is a common repair for this issue.
You can Place pieces of cloth or a bucket underneath the hose to catch any water that comes out during the repair. Remove any dirt, debris, or food bits in the hose and valve until the water can flow through smoothly.
Clogged Circulation Pump
A clogged or non-working circulation pump can also cause the Bosch dishwasher E22 error code. This is the part of your Bosch appliance that circulates water throughout to help clean dishes better and more thoroughly.
Circulation pumps are used for the circulation of water in dishwashers to create a washing action. They must supply the wash arms with sufficient pressure and volume of water to clean dishes thoroughly. If there’s not enough water or if the pressure is too low, the wash arms won’t be able to generate sufficient cleaning power.
A partial clog in the circulation pump may cause an E22 error code. A clogged pump reduces the machine’s ability to drain water from the dishwasher, making it harder to recirculate water for future rinses. When this happens, the dishwasher may display the Bosch Dishwasher Error Code E22.
To access the circulation pump, you must turn off the power supply to the dishwasher. Disconnect the power and then remove the pump cover by locating and removing screws using a screwdriver.
How To Remove Clogging from Circulation Pump:
- Remove the cover of the pump assembly and use a large, flathead screwdriver to pry it open.
- Look for any debris that may be blocking the pumps.
- Pull out anything you can find, being careful not to cut yourself on broken dishes or sharp edges.
Bosch dishwashers have an error code, E22. This is a relatively benign error that can be fixed with just a few simple steps. If you need any help understanding what the fault might mean or how to fix it, let us know in the comments below.